Monday, August 26, 2013

summer wrap-up

I am obviously the worst blogger ever. I didn't write about anything that I said I was going to write about over the summer. I blame it entirely on the University of Notre Dame and its completely unforgiving schedule of courses for MNA students. I should also note, lest anyone think I'm complaining, that this summer was quite possibly the best experience of my life. 

The MNA (master of nonprofit administration) is essentially an MBA, but the emphasis is on the not-for-profit sector. My favorite quote so far, "Nonprofit is a tax status; it's not a business plan." In other words, nonprofits still have to make money in order to operate effectively and provide all of the services they set out to provide. You still have to know business even if all you want to do is heal the world.

In 4 weeks, we completed 12 credit hours, which is just under 1/3 of the degree. The classes are taught similarly to an executive MBA format - squeezing as much content into as little time possible, it seems. We spent 8 hours a day in class (one class for 4 hours in the morning and another class for 4 hours in the afternoon - see schedule below), and then we spent anywhere from 4-7 hours each night on homework, reading, projects, and papers. I averaged just over 4 hours of sleep per night and probably 4 caffeinated drinks per day. It was the most intense academic experience I have ever had, without question, but I already feel so incredibly rewarded by it.

Week 1 - Human Resource Management, Management Communication
Week 2 - Human Resource Management, Accounting for Nonprofits
Week 3 - Marketing for Nonprofits, Accounting for Nonprofits
Week 4 - Marketing for Nonprofits, Board Relations and Management

I did get to spend some time in all of my favorite ND spots, and I also found several new favorite places. It was almost surreal to walk by Touchdown Jesus (and his little friend First Down Moses) and the stadium on my way to class every day. I almost got run over by Coach Denbrock (who coaches the wide receivers) in a golf cart one day (in his defense, some kid was driving him). It's also surreal to see all the football players just hanging out, eating a sandwich (okay, usually at least two sandwiches) between classes or eating a couple of dinners at Chipotle... As fans, it's easy to forget that these guys we see on TV every Saturday are 18-22 year old college kids, just like the ones I work with every day. When I think about them that way, it helps me avoid putting so much pressure on them to win at any cost and more likely to care about what they do in life a lot more than what they do on the field. And it makes watching them on TV, especially when they win, seem so much more rewarding as a fan. Yes, I'm ready for football season.

This week I'll start two online classes - Social Entrepreneurship and Program Evaluation. The thing that's cool about these is that you still actually "go" to a live class - you just do it via video conference or webinar instead of being physically in the classroom. By the end of this academic year in May 2014, I will have completed half of the degree. Then back to ND for another summer, and then 1 more online class and my final research project. The goal is to graduate May 2015. pray

My biggest takeaway so far is that, in my opinion at least, Notre Dame has already proven itself to be what it claims to be. They promise a rigorous academic experience - obviously this has been that and more. They promise a place of incredible beauty - obviously we all know ND is gorgeous, but it remains that way each and every day, even when you feel like you want to scream and cry from exhaustion. Just being there was such an incredible gift. They promise a spiritual experience - you know going in that this is a Catholic school, but it's not until spending day after day after day in that place that you realize how much more connected you feel to everything in the world... Several of my classmates were non-Catholic and even non-Christian, but I think we all felt a connection that goes far beyond religious doctrine - that really is the true spirit of Notre Dame. And finally, they promise connection - I met 34 of the most incredible classmates I could have imagined. My only disappointment is that we didn't all know eachother 15 years ago. These people are beyond wonderful - smart, engaging, and incredibly passionate about making the world a better place. Not only did our cohort connect, but we've also made lasting connections with faculty, staff, other students, and alums. From the first interview, my program advisor was telling me about graduates of our program who are doing the work that I hope to be doing one day.

I can't believe summer has come and gone already, but I'm really looking forward to the year ahead. And by the way, football starts in 6 days. GO IRISH! clover

No comments:

Post a Comment